Canadian Injured Workers Alliance - www.ciwa.ca
Office of the Worker Adviser - www.owa.gov.on.ca
Why Does Pain Persist?
- Aronoff, Gerald. Evaluation and Treatment of Chronic Pain. Third Edition. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins, 1999. Print
- Fishman, Scott. Bonica's Management of Pain. Fourth Edition. Baltimore: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2010. Print
- Martucci, KT, Ng, P, Mackey, S. Neuroimaging chronic pain: what have we learned and where are we going? Future Neurol. 2014; 9:615-626
Regulating Thoughts And Emotions To Control Pain
- Wiech, K, Ploner, M and Tracey, I. Neurocognitive aspects of pain perception. Trends Cogn Sci. 2008; 12:306-13.
- Wiech, K and Tracey, I. The influence of negative emotions on pain: Behavioral effects and neural mechanisms. NeuroImage. 2009; 47:987–994.
- Lumley, MA, Cohen, JL, Borszcz, GS, Cano, A, Radcliffe, AM, Porter, LS, Schubiner, H, Keefe, FJ. Pain and emotion: A biopsychosocial review of recent research. J Clin Psychol. 2011; 67:942–968.
Dealing With The Past - Part I: Psychological Factors
- Doidge, Norman. The Brain That Changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontiers of Brain Science. New York: Penguin, 2007. Print
- van der Kolk, Bessel. The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma. New York: Viking, 2014. Print
- Afari, N, et al. Psychological trauma and functional somatic syndromes: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Psychosom Med. 2014; 76:2-11
- Simons, L, Elman, I, Borsook, D. Psychological processing in chronic pain: A neural systems approach. Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2014; 39:61-78
- Edwards, RR, Dworkin, RH, Sullivan, MD, Turk, D, Wasan, AD. The role of psychosocial processes in the development and maintenance of chronic pain disorders. J Pain. 2016; 17:T70-T92
Dealing With The Past - Part II: Physical Factors
- Rodriguez, RM, del Rio, FG. Mechanistic basis of manual therapy in myofascial injuries. Sonoelastographic evolution control. J Bodyw Mov Ther. 2013; 17:221-234
- Pujol, N, Boisrenoult, P, Beaufils, P. Post-traumatic knee stiffness: Surgical techniques. Orthop Traumatol Surg Res. 2015; 101:S179-S186
- Bijlard, E, Uiterwaal, L, Kouwenberg, C, Mureau, M, Hovius, S, Huygen, FJ. A systematic review on the prevalence, etiology and pathophysiology of intrinsic pain in dermal scar tissue. Pain Physician. 2017; 20:1–13
- Kinee, SM, Singh, B. Complex regional pain syndrome in burn pathological scarring: A case report and review of the literature. Burns. 2017; 43:e47-e52
- Ault, P, Plaza, A, Paratz, J. Scar massage for hypertrophic burns scarring - A systematic review. Burns. 2018; 44:24-38